250g bread flour
10g milk powder
45g caster sugar
4g instant dry yeast
35g unsalted butter (cut into small cubes and slightly softened)
100ml fresh milk (plus minus 1tsp)
1 egg (I use 60g egg with shell)
1 egg for egg wash
12 x butter cubes (2cm x 1cm x 1cm)
Sugar to sprinkle
1. Beat egg and milk together and set aside.
2. Mix all dry ingredients in a mixing bowl with hook attachment.
3. Slowly pour in the milk and egg mixture while the mixer is in motion. (I use KA speed 2 throughout)
4. When a rough dough is formed around the hook, add in the butter cube by cube.
5. Let the mixer do the work till the dough pass the window pane test, scrapping down the sides with a spatula from time to time. (took me about 30mins)
6. Smoothen out the dough into a nice round dough and leave it in the bowl covered for 15mins.
7. Portion dough into 12 equal portions (about 42g each). Shape each portion into a ball and line them in a greased 8 inch square pan. Cover and let proof for 1 hour.
8. Preheat over to 170'C.
9. Brush egg wash lightly on the top of the dough. Using a scissors, cut a small snip on each and insert butter through the snip and press down slightly and gently. Sprinkle the top generously with sugar and bake for about 18 to 20mins in the oven until golden. (I bake at 2nd lower rack.) Remove from oven allowing it to cool slightly.